Wednesday 22 June 2011

In Search for The King…

In Search for The King…


He had killed my brother. I loathed him from the core of my heart. He did not recognize me but I will remember his face till the day i die. I stood there, before him, smiling brightly at his enthusiasm as he heard my fake story of how I had embraced Islam. He believed every single word I said. I was relieved enormously but then, I wasn’t expecting otherwise. First, because I was, at war, an excellent liar. Second, because Muslims get too exhilarated at someone’s so called, ‘guidance’; that they fail to remember that it might be a deception. And last, because he did not know me. And how would he? He did not even kill my brother for any grudge against him. In fact, he did not even know my brother before he had slain him.
All it had been was that my brother and I had led the army against them. Initially, we fought well. But soon they overwhelmed us. I saw him killing my brother with my own eyes. He had raised his sword high in the air and then brought it down with such might that it sliced him into two.
I could not believe my eyes. My jaw dropped and my whole body stood numb and paralyzed. I swayed a little and was about to swoon but quickly recovered control as I heard someone yelling at me to watch out. I turned swiftly to counter in time an attack that would have killed me at the spot. But my arm was wounded badly. My hand could not hold my sword anymore. I fought with my left hand for a while but loosing a lot of blood; I felt too weak to fight. While I moved back behind the battle field to nurse my wounds, I saw my men fleeing away. Defeat had fallen on us, I then realized, and I fled so swiftly that I had to try hard to bring my horse to a halt.
I dwelt for days in a cave too small and too tiny for a comfortable sleep. But I had no choice. It was so cold at night and so windy in the day that I wished I would have been killed in the battle. The wound in my arm was so deep; it made me cry with pain. Hunger and thirst knocked me down. My face turned pale. My eyes sunk in their orbits and my lips dried with thirst. I couldn’t go back to my town, it was too far and all the nearby towns were in the Muslim hands. So, I ate grass and drank mud. Sometimes death is more favorable than life, I then realized.
A week passed and came the day that changed my life forever. It was a cold windy day. I was out; searching for something to quench the thirst and satiate the hunger that could have killed me; when I heard some noise; the clatter of horses galloping in the distance. I hid behind a tree. My heart thumped frantically. The horses grew nearer. I heard one of the riders call his companions, “let’s stay here for rest.” They dismounted and busied themselves in making a tent. One of the four made a big fire. The three after making the tent, prepared supper. They relaxed while waiting for the food to cook. I observed all that from behind the tree while my teeth clattered and my eyes on the fire; yearning for food and warmth. I looked at the men trying to assess how safe it was to make an acquaintance. Oh, I wondered painfully, how much a man can be humiliated and disgraced by hunger and cold. I looked into the men’s faces. They seemed rather strong and bold. An aura of power and authority was about them. They were knights, I knew. Then, my eyes set on the man nearest the fire. His back resting on the tree trunk; his hand holding a stick, poking the fire. My heart pounded madly and my stomach lurched. Was it him? Oh how just and fair fate is! Here he is, in front of me. So near that I could kill him with an arrow. This was my golden chance to kill the murderer of my brother. But Alas! They were four and I was one. And what else? I had no arrow. I was carrying just a sword with me. How can I kill him when they looked like four knights emerging from a historical heroic tale? I chided myself for being so foolish. But my old, healthy, courageous self woke me up. How helpless and hopeless, hunger and cold made me. Why? I had never been known to be a man who would yield to circumstances. I was rather a tough warrior and an eminent swordsman. And yes, I am considered a man of high level of intelligence and wit. I thought of a perfect plan. If every thing went well, I might be able to be alone with him away from his friends; where I could kill him neatly and without putting myself into trouble. I was too exhausted to fight four. One I could fight but four was too big a number for a hungry, wretched man.
I set off to accomplish my plan. I walked slowly towards them and cleared my throat audibly. They turned around and glanced at me. I stammered, “I…” then I gathered my self, “well, I have had a tragedy on my way from Damascus. My horse died on the way and I was left with nothing but my sword and these shabby clothes.” I smiled faintly.
They gaped at me for a long moment. Then, my opponent was the first to respond. He hit the ground beside him with his stick and said, “sit down… don’t worry, we will help you.”
I said lightly, “it would be a perfect opportunity for me to learn from you some things about my new religion. You see, I have just recently embraced Islam.” They smiled brightly and all four stood up, each giving me a warm, big, bear hug. They congratulated me heartily and asked from where I was. I told them that I was from Constantinople. That was true enough. And I told them that my name was, ‘Haris’ which wasn’t true because I was, ‘Lewis, the famous warrior of Constantinople'. They asked about the story of my convert to Islam. I invented a fake story which they foolishly believed. I was laughing inwardly at their naivety. Muslims, as I said are very foolish when it comes to someone telling them that he was a new Muslim.
Well, I had a perfect supper. I drank so much water that I could feel blood flowing in my veins. To be quite frank, they were very generous. They ate very little and each was handing me pieces of meat and bread. My opponent, to be fair, was the most generous of them all. He handed me a big piece of fat and said lightly, “eat… feed yourself… you have only got skin on your bones.”
I chuckled and took the fat and swallowed it all in one, without chewing it. They gave me a warm blanket and I instantly drifted to sleep.
I was awakened by my opponent, patting on my cheeks. He said lightly, “wake up, sleepy head! It’s time to pray.”
I sat upright, yawning. I blinked for sometime, “pray?!... Oh yes, of course…”
They laughed. My opponent, whose name I came to know was Abdullah, said lightly, “Seems like the meat has dampened your brains brother.”
I smiled back feeling some of the tension leave me.
Abdullah stood there; raised his hands to his ears and yelled with words which later I came to know, was the ‘adhan’. I was too nervous and confused to concentrate and comprehend what he said. When he finished, they arranged a row behind him. He raised his hand and said, “Allah is great.” His friends did the same but silently, they put their hands on their stomach. I imitated them nervously and foolishly. After a few seconds’ silence, he broke it; reciting aloud with calm voice and a feeling I couldn’t comprehend. I in spite of myself began to ponder on his words.
Before continuing with my story, I think it right to tell you a few things about my past. I was brought up as a Christian. But as soon as I came to understand what my religion was all about, I began to have some doubt about the validity of my fore-fathers' religion. The concept of trinity always bothered me. I believe; three Gods, even if good can not always be in agreement. I looked in other religions, whenever I was on a travel for trade. I kept on searching and asking men from foreign lands about their beliefs and religions. My journeys to Damascus were the most fruitful of all journeys. There, I found many merchants whom I questioned. I met one merchant from Persia. He was a Zoroastrian. He told me about his religion but I didn’t like it. I couldn’t assimilate the concept that there were two gods; a god for good and a god for evil. If one looks around, he will find nature so beautiful, so divine; that he would question himself logically ‘if god of evil was as equal as that of good in strength and might, then nature would never have been so beautiful and in harmony. Even the storms and the horrid volcanoes that one hears of, are for the benefit of the earth and its residents. I mean; yes, they are destructive but for instance the storms bring rain and coolness after the scorching heat. I have never seen volcanoes but I believe they must have their own role to benefit us. And I believe that if they don’t have any benefit then they sure must be a means of God to punish the dissolute stray mankind. Now as far as Zoroastrianism is concerned, I do believe in the existence of evil. And I confess; it’s quite a strong force but never equally strong to that of good. Therefore the Christian beliefs are more correct and concurrent to my instinct than Zoroastrianism. God is good and Satan is evil. He is not as strong as God but he is arrogant and evil enough to combat followers of God.
In one of my travels, I met a man from Arabia. We talked for a while. I asked him about his religion. He told me that he was an idolater. On hearing that, I refrained from asking him any further questions. What stupidity these men suffered from. Idiots and lumpy was the right words for those who worship stones.
I met some Jews too. But I didn’t like them at all. In fact, I despised them. They were cynical and cunning. And their religion was based upon NOT doing what God commands and torturing people of other nations with debts and loans.
I met many people and heard from them about different beliefs but I could find nothing better than Christianity. But as I said the concept of Trinity always confused me. I tried to suppress my suspicions saying that they might be some facts that God has kept to himself from mankind and I always chided myself for being so doubtful. I kept my little suspicions in check, but sometimes they broke free through the concrete wall that I had built in my heart. I always pulled them back and locked them behind the concrete but never could I deny their presence. When Muslims came to claim our lands, I was obliged to fight them because our king denied me the privilege to marry his pretty young princess. I had been in love with her since a very long time. Her father denied us our happy union saying, “If you love her enough to fight for her, then I shall marry her off to you. Lead my army and fight these Arabs who claim knowing God.” I had no choice but to blindly obey him; for her beautiful face robbed me of my peace of mind and tranquility of heart.
But now, hearing Abdullah reciting calmly made me alert and my past suspicions were awakened. They came out with such a force that I felt a lump in my throat. I heard his words,
“In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds;  Most Gracious, Most Merciful;  Master of the Day of Judgment.  Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.  Show us the straight way,  The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace,  those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray.”
He paused for a short moment; while I tried to take in what I heard. Then, he began again,
“In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.  By (the Token of) Time (through the ages),  Verily Man is in loss, Except such as have Faith, and do righteous deeds, and (join together) in the mutual teaching of Truth, and of Patience and Constancy.”
I am fluent with the Arabic. Thanks to my constant travels for trade. While Abdullah was reciting, I noticed that whoever’s words they were; they were so exotic; so divine. It seemed like a dream hearing them. It seemed that I were floating on the clouds hearing something from heaven. It was like a melody; soft but strong; beautiful but dangerous. I could not help closing my eyes and soaring. He then read,
“In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. Say: He is Allah, the One and Only. Allah, the Eternal, Absolute. He begetteth not, nor is He begotten. And there is none like unto Him.”
My heart with every word pounded and my limbs shook. Has he said, ‘He is One?’ Oh, has he said, ‘No One is as mighty as Him?’ My knees were about to give way when then, Abdullah bowed breaking the spell. His companions followed him with their palms on their knees. I followed them feeling weak and feeble. Yes! God is great and I love to bow to Him. I did not know what they recited while they bowed. They muttered words I could not hear. Abdullah raised his head and stood erect. They followed him. I followed too. He dropped himself down to the ground and put his forehead on the ground. They followed but I stood their gaping with disbelief. I have lived all my life among the nobility. Never had I put myself in such a humiliating situation to any one. Not even the king. I am known to be haughty and arrogant. Yes! I had bowed to God and the king but never ‘prostrated’ the way these did. But remembering my old plan of murder, I dropped down and slowly and uncertainly did what they did.
As my forehead touched earth, I felt what it was all about. It was surrender and utter submission. It was to yield and devote. It was to say aloud, ‘Oh God! Here I am humble and down to earth for you and only to you.’ I felt it all with emotions so strong that my throat constricted; my eyes ached with tears; my limbs shook… and my heart soared. I talked to God. I said, ‘Lord! I don’t know what these people believe in, but yes! You are One and I swear, I will pray to you in exactly this way all my life… I swear and I vow…”
They raised their heads and my soul came back to me. I sat like them. They prostrated again and for the second time, I felt all the excitement. Abdullah raised his head and stood up. I did not want to follow him. I wished I could stay all my life in this posture. My forehead on the ground and my heart in the sky; but I reluctantly followed Abdullah.
He recited again,
“In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. Praise be to Allah, the Cherisher and Sustainer of the worlds; Most Gracious, Most Merciful; Master of the Day of Judgment. Thee do we worship, and Thine aid we seek.  Show us the straight way, The way of those on whom Thou hast bestowed Thy Grace, those whose (portion) is not wrath, and who go not astray.”
After a short pause, he continued;
“Concerning what are they disputing? Concerning the Great News, About which they cannot agree.  Verily, they shall soon (come to) know!  Verily, verily they shall soon (come to) know! Have We not made the earth as a wide expanse, And the mountains as pegs? And (have We not) created you in pairs, And made your sleep for rest, And made the night as a covering, And made the day as a means of subsistence? And (have We not) built over you the seven firmaments, And placed (therein) a Light of Splendor? And do We not send down from the clouds water in abundance, That We may produce therewith corn and vegetables, And gardens of luxurious growth? Verily the Day of Sorting out is a thing appointed, The Day that the Trumpet shall be sounded, and ye shall come forth in crowds; And the heavens shall be opened as if there were doors, And the mountains shall vanish, as if they were a mirage. Truly Hell is as a place of ambush, For the transgressors a place of destination: They will dwell therein for ages. Nothing cool shall they taste therein, nor any drink, Save a boiling fluid and a fluid, dark, murky, intensely cold, A fitting recompense (for them). For that they used not to fear any account (for their deeds), But they (impudently) treated Our Signs as false. And all things have We preserved on record. "So taste ye (the fruits of your deeds); for no increase shall We grant you, except in Punishment." Verily for the Righteous there will be a fulfillment of (the heart's) desires; Gardens enclosed, and grapevines; Companions of equal age; And a cup full (to the brim). No vanity shall they hear therein, nor Untruth:- Recompense from thy Lord, a gift, (amply) sufficient, (From) the Lord of the heavens and the earth, and all between, ((Allah)) Most Gracious: None shall have power to argue with Him. The Day that the Spirit and the angels will stand forth in ranks, none shall speak except any who is permitted by ((Allah)) Most Gracious, and He will say what is right. That Day will be the sure Reality: Therefore, whoso will, let him take a (straight) return to his Lord! Verily, We have warned you of a Penalty near, the Day when man will see (the deeds) which his hands have sent forth, and the Unbeliever will say, "Woe unto me! Would that I were (metre) dust!"
When he finished, I felt I could no longer hold on. As i followed him and bowed, I prayed with tears falling on my feet, ‘oh God! I beg you. I plead with you. Don’t let me be that pagan who wishes to be dust. I surrender and submit to your strength and might. I yield to your knowledge and wisdom. And I plead your mercy and patience. I ask for your forgiveness and acceptance.'
Abdullah raised and then prostrated twice; and then, he sat down. Until they ended up praying; my tears washed my face; mumbling pleas and invocations. Never had I experienced such emotions before. Grieved and delighted; contented and confused; shivering and sweating; all at the same time. Was the world so clear and vivid as I see it now? Were those trees as green and full of life a few moments ago? It is what is inside you that makes the universe so bright and beautiful; I then realized.
After repeating all that procedure for the third time, Abdullah turned his head to the right and said, “Peace and mercy of Allah be upon you.” And turning to the left he repeated the same. We followed him and for a few moments, we stayed silent. They mumbled words silently that I could not comprehend. I wiped my tears with my sleeves and closed my eyes. Abdullah recited,
“Allah. There is no god but He,-the Living, the Self-subsisting, Eternal. No slumber can seize Him nor sleep. His are all things in the heavens and on earth. Who is there can intercede in His presence except as He permitteth? He knoweth what (appeareth to His creatures as) before or after or behind them. Nor shall they compass aught of His knowledge except as He willeth. His Throne doth extend over the heavens and the earth, and He feeleth no fatigue in guarding and preserving them for He is the Most High, the Supreme (in glory). Let there be no compulsion in religion: Truth stands out clear from Error: whoever rejects evil and believes in Allah hath grasped the most trustworthy hand-hold, that never breaks. And Allah heareth and knoweth all things. Allah is the Protector of those who have faith: from the depths of darkness He will lead them forth into light. Of those who reject faith the patrons are the evil ones: from light they will lead them forth into the depths of darkness. They will be companions of the fire, to dwell therein (For ever).”
Then, the four stood up; changing positions, they started praying again. Abdullah stood back beside me and began praying but this time, silently. I did the same and imitated him in whatever he did. We bowed twice and prostrated four times.
Then we sat around the fire. Abdullah poked the fire then recited beautifully; his voice was melodious; I didn’t help but like it. He said,
"Allah is He, than Whom there is no other god;- Who knows (all things) both secret and open; He, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. Allah is He, than Whom there is no other god;- the Sovereign, the Holy One, the Source of Peace (and Perfection), the Guardian of Faith, the Preserver of Safety, the Exalted in Might, the Irresistible, the Supreme: Glory to Allah. (High is He) above the partners they attribute to Him. He is Allah, the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Forms (or Colours). To Him belong the Most Beautiful Names: whatever is in the heavens and on earth, doth declare His Praises and Glory: and He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise."
If God was all that, I thought, then he truly must be a God. Divine and truly a Lord. To such Lord, one ought to prostrate and rub his forehead with dust. I said absently, "verily, there is no deity but Allah."
Abdullah smiled, "and Muhammad is the final and the rightful messenger of Allah." He said. I gaped at him. His smile widened, "say it, if you like." He said gently.
I said truthfully with tears blurring my vision, "I don’t know Muhammad."
He chuckled, "and you don’t know how to pray either."
I froze. He smiled and poked the fire, "don’t worry... we will cause you no harm." He turned his gaze to me again, still the smile on his face, "I have seen you in the battlefield, you know... you are Lewis, aren’t you? ... Even with that beard and sunken eyes, you still are Lewis."
He chuckled at the look on my face. His friends were smiling too.
"Muhammad" he told me "is the apostle who was sent the message of Allah through the Angel Gabriel. You must know Gabriel, don’t you? You are Christian."
He smiled and continued, "Muhammad taught us to believe in Jesus, Moses, David, Solomon, Job, Jacob (Israel), and Joseph... Lady Mary is a pious, virtuous lady. Her son Jesus, though not the son of God is a messenger and a very eminent one. He was raised to the sky and will come back down when it's time to fight the antichrist Messiah..." His grin widened seeing my frozen expression, “do you wish to hear the exact words of God regarding Jesus and his mother?"
When he got no respond other than my stupefied expressions; he looked at the fire and recited melodiously,
"In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. Kaf. Ha. Ya. 'Ain. Sad. (This is) a recital of the Mercy of thy Lord to His servant Zakariya. Behold! he cried to his Lord in secret, Praying: "O my Lord! infirm indeed are my bones, and the hair of my head doth glisten with grey: but never am I unblest, O my Lord, in my prayer to Thee! "Now I fear (what) my relatives (and colleagues) (will do) after me: but my wife is barren: so give me an heir as from Thyself,- "(One that) will (truly) represent me, and represent the posterity of Jacob; and make him, O my Lord! one with whom Thou art well-pleased!" (His prayer was answered): "O Zakariya! We give thee good news of a son: His name shall be Yahya: on none by that name have We conferred distinction before." He said: "O my Lord! How shall I have a son, when my wife is barren and I have grown quite decrepit from old age?" He said: "So (it will be) thy Lord saith, 'that is easy for Me: I did indeed create thee before, when thou hadst been nothing!'" (Zakariya) said: "O my Lord! give me a Sign." "Thy Sign," was the answer, "Shall be that thou shalt speak to no man for three nights, although thou art not dumb." So Zakariya came out to his people from him chamber: He told them by signs to celebrate Allah's praises in the morning and in the evening. (To his son came the command): "O Yahya! take hold of the Book with might": and We gave him Wisdom even as a youth, And piety (for all creatures) as from Us, and purity: He was devout, And kind to his parents, and he was not overbearing or rebellious. So Peace on him the day he was born, the day that he dies, and the day that he will be raised up to life (again)! Relate in the Book (the story of) Mary, when she withdrew from her family to a place in the East. She placed a screen (to screen herself) from them; then We sent her our angel, and he appeared before her as a man in all respects. She said: "I seek refuge from thee to ((Allah)) Most Gracious: (come not near) if thou dost fear Allah." He said: "Nay, I am only a messenger from thy Lord, (to announce) to thee the gift of a holy son. She said: "How shall I have a son, seeing that no man has touched me, and I am not unchaste?" He said: "So (it will be): Thy Lord saith, 'that is easy for Me: and (We wish) to appoint him as a Sign unto men and a Mercy from Us':It is a matter (so) decreed." So she conceived him, and she retired with him to a remote place. And the pains of childbirth drove her to the trunk of a palm-tree: She cried (in her anguish): "Ah! would that I had died before this! would that I had been a thing forgotten and out of sight!" But (a voice) cried to her from beneath the (palm-tree): "Grieve not! for thy Lord hath provided a rivulet beneath thee; "And shake towards thyself the trunk of the palm-tree: It will let fall fresh ripe dates upon thee. "So eat and drink and cool (thine) eye. And if thou dost see any man, say, 'I have vowed a fast to ((Allah)) Most Gracious, and this day will I enter into not talk with any human being'" At length she brought the (babe) to her people, carrying him (in her arms). They said: "O Mary! truly an amazing thing hast thou brought! "O sister of Aaron! Thy father was not a man of evil, nor thy mother a woman unchaste!" But she pointed to the babe. They said: "How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?" He said: "I am indeed a servant of Allah. He hath given me revelation and made me a prophet; "And He hath made me blessed wheresoever I be, and hath enjoined on me Prayer and Charity as long as I live; "(He) hath made me kind to my mother, and not overbearing or miserable; "So peace is on me the day I was born, the day that I die, and the day that I shall be raised up to life (again)"! Such (was) Jesus the son of Mary: (it is) a statement of truth, about which they (vainly) dispute. It is not befitting to (the majesty of) Allah that He should beget a son. Glory be to Him! when He determines a matter, He only says to it, "Be", and it is. Verily Allah is my Lord and your Lord: Him therefore serve ye: this is a Way that is straight. But the sects differ among themselves: and woe to the unbelievers because of the (coming) Judgment of a Momentous Day! How plainly will they see and hear, the Day that they will appear before Us! but the unjust today are in error manifest! But warn them of the Day of Distress, when the matter will be determined: for (behold,) they are negligent and they do not believe! It is We Who will inherit the earth, and all beings thereon: to Us will they all be returned."
For a long moment no one spoke. I was enchanted and spell-bound by the words. He had said that they were words of God. Yes, they were. I can tell that myself. They were so divine and so Holy that I loved them. I couldn't deny the feeling. These words could heal the ailing. But the words' perfection and their divine impact on me were undeniable. But they were not the only reason for my turbulence of thoughts. These people know Jesus and Mary; they know Jacob and Aaron, Zakaryia and Yahya. Not only that; they don’t believe in the trinity. Yet they consider Mary a virgin, pious and virtuous lady who dedicated her life for the worship of God. The story, the words concurred with my innate notions to such an extent that I felt dazed and dazzled. I was so engrossed in my own thoughts that Abdullah's next words startled me,
"What brought you here other than food and fire?"
I tore my gaze from him and turned it to the trees. He chuckled, "I am sure there is another reason."
The memory of my brother's murder came back to me all at once. I felt the old rage and hatred to the man surge inside me making me clench my fist and say vehemently through my teeth, "you killed my brother."
His smile froze on his lips. He frowned and looked at the fire, "I am sorry for your loss but I don’t regret it. You see, we Muslims don’t fight for any personal gain... if it were for myself, I would have killed no one. But it's the words of God that push us  to fight; to bring every piece of land on this earth under His rule and to introduce Allah's religion, Islam to every single human being. He is the creator. He has the ultimate right to be called 'God'. This universe, this world and these lands are all His. What He commands should be obeyed and when He says, "fight to raise the name of your Lord high", we can do nothing but fight. You have yourself seen it all; we did not embark at you. First, we asked you to enter Islam. You refused. We asked you to let us enter the lands to introduce Islam to its people and give the lands of the Lord back to Him; so that His rule would prevail on them and you would be treated fairly and protected against your enemies as long as you cause no harm to the society and pay small taxes that will not harm your living-status. But to this too, you refused. So we had no choice but to fight you. Now don’t you agree with me that these lands are the lands of God?"
I turned to him and for a while did not reply. He grinned at me and said, "You are fair. You won't bias to a concept you don’t believe in; even if it were the essence of your past. I have heard of you…"
I tore my gaze from him, "yes, these lands are the lands of God." I replied through clenched teeth. He continued, "If you believe so, then why should Satan's principles prevail on these lands? Doesn’t God have the right to claim His lands?"
I said furiously, "you are pushing me to the corner and you like it."
He sighed, "No, what I like is your fairness and morality. Though the pain of your lost brother ache, but you don’t falter to know the truth; even if it were coming from your archenemy."
I knew that all he said was true, but remembering his sword tearing my brother tormented me beyond limits. My hatred for him was constricting my throat.
 I said, "I can never forget what you did to my brother." He looked at me and said with pain evident on his face, "I am sorry… I truly am. But may be if you think it over again calmly; you may perceive that I were nothing but the sword in the hand of the king who is just and does nothing but right."
I closed my eyes and breathed deeply with pain and ache. Then, I sighed saying, "the king…"
Tears filled my eyes and overflowed. I closed them, "I am afraid; I might kill you, if ever Satan took over me."
"Your faith will prevent Satan to take over you" he said.
I smiled painfully, "yes, but God help me."
He reached out his hand to me. I hesitantly took it in mine. He said, "Say, there is no deity but Allah and Muhammad is the final messenger of Allah." I repeated after him feeling warmth and exotic emotions shower on me. I felt tranquility and bliss; contentment and satisfaction. He shook my hand firmly and hugged me tightly saying, "you are my brother… what harm comes unto you is unto me and I vow to protect you like myself."
Tears gushed from my eyes like stream; I sobbed and cried like a child. I broke out all the anguish, the tension and the uncertainty of my past. I felt like a newborn; pure and clean. All my tensions began to desert me; leaving me feeble and exhausted. I lay there and drifted into deep slumber.
After few hours sleep, I woke up to find Abdullah and his friends gone. Their horses weren’t there but the tent and fire still in place.  I stood up and called after them but no one answered. I took my sword which I noticed wasn’t taken. And I set out to look for them.
I walked for a while then I heard one of the four men calling Abdullah. I turned around to see him behind me at a distance. His back was towards me. He hadn't seen me yet. I looked at him and remembered my lost brother. Rage and desire for revenge surged inside me. I cried aloud suppressing it, "I seek refuge by the king, Allah from Satan."
Abdullah turned around frowning but when he saw me grinning, he grinned back. He repeated, "I seek refuge by the king, Allah from Satan." And threw at me an apple saying, "feed yourself brother… Muslims should be strong"
I bit at it hungrily and cried, "Strong to kill brothers?"
His grin faded. But I chuckled, "never mind… my wound is beginning to heal but it aches and itches a little."
He cried, "I hope the ache won't kill us both."
I understood what he meant. If I kill him; I kill myself because to kill your brother Muslim meant eternal life in Hell. I had all my life fled from Hell. I wouldn’t allow a momentary desire for revenge to play havoc with my eternal hereafter.
I smiled back at him and turned back to the tent.

No comments:

Post a Comment