Wednesday 22 June 2011

The Storm…

The Storm…


(Translated from the Arabic short story by Abdul malik al-Qasim.)

Faster than I imagined, started the count down for my wedding day. The closer the date drew, the larger the responsibilities grew & the greater efforts I was obliged to do. Thoughts & apprehensions never abundant me. A month or more is left. “I’ll finish everything. It’s simple”, I thought, “& doesn’t take a lot of time.” But I discovered lately that I lost a whole week in choosing furniture & another in preparing the kitchen. Now fortunately I have enough time, “one whole week is left”, I breathed deeply. Rosy dreams started chasing me. & Joy was always surrounding me. I started going to my new home, enjoying sitting there & having some tea. Stretching my legs in complete relaxation, I read in the newspapers & magazines & every article related to marriage & children. One particular article attracted me, ‘Read before u marry…’ I said to my self: “this week every body seems to speak to me… from children to grown ups & even magazines & newspapers…” I proceeded reading… It contained lots of recommendations & advices, ‘medical check up before marriage’ I read it. They mentioned its uses & last of all its significance. This idea chased me for two days & it finally overwhelmed my mind & so I decided to do it.
First step was to do the prime test & so I started giving blood in the laboratory. “Consult the doctor after three day”, they told me. I went to my dreamland once again. & When the due date came, I was sluggish, thinking what the need might be for the checkup. I thought, everybody got married without doing one. But when I remembered the bill I payed, I got up. Even though, I reached late, I waited for half an hour or more. & When the doctor called me, I walked with slow paces. He took out the test papers & began reading silently, turning the papers again, peeped at me several times. & When I asked him if there was something wrong, he put the papers down & said without introductions.
“You have blood cancer.”
I couldn’t believe what I heard. I was shocked & couldn’t speak. My eyes talked this time, “How?”
“Don’t fear anything, it’s just a suspicion, let’s do the test again.”
I couldn’t move. He felt guilty about his way of disclosing the result. He helped me stand but I collapsed & started breathing heavily making sure I was still alive.
He opened my eyes, examined them, checked my pulse & heartbeats & said, “it’s simple & easy… we’ll make the test again.”
I had come in with hopes & dreams but came out crushed with misery & worry. All was a matter of few minutes. I drove my car blank minded & then stopped at the side of the road. Closed my eyes & waiting for death, I thought about myself, my family & after all… her… should I tell her? What am I to tell her? If the tests confirmed the ailment, should I tell her or stay silent? There is no time. Only a matter of days & I will have to decide whether there should be a wedding or none. I couldn’t sleep that night.
In the morning, I left my job & headed towards the lab. While they took the blood, I told them, “take more… & make sure” they took a handsome sample that pleased me… I felt as if my veins had no blood, but sorrows & terrible worry.
I couldn’t stop thinking, “may be it was all a mistake” but something within me said, “It’s true.”
I left my house. The teapot I left there last night with the hope of returning happily was still in place. I was like a bird in an iron cage, flying hither & thither looking for an outlet. Colliding in every direction. I cared about nothing but the results of the test.
All who met me said, “Your face has changed. Is this a face of a bridegroom? Looks like you are overexcited about your wedding… or you might be very scared about it… it’s going to be ok dear!”
They all seemed in a world utterly different from mine.
Three days seemed very long… very long.
To confirm the test, I went to another clinic. And at the same day, I called the first lab & asked, “any results?”
“Not yet, please call after tomorrow.”
How far was tomorrow & after tomorrow! Waiting to die or hoping to live.
I cancelled my visits & appointments. Even ceased buying what remained from my home furniture. I didn’t want to see any one & gazed at the world around me with a farewell glance.
Hiding my face from my mother, I thought of her tears at my funeral. My father! A terrible grief I always felt when I met him. He was joking with me about the wedding & I was answering sadly, “soon!”
On the third day, I calmed down. I thought, if it turns true, I wont marry. But my love for her & for the world chased me. I thought, “Lots of people live bearing ailments. Life is in God’s hand… so I shall tell her.”
At 04:30, I stood before the clinic worried. “The doctor might come early”, I thought. The doctor came indeed but the results didn’t come. I waited for two hours, which seemed two years. & When the doctor told me about the result’s arrival, I jumped up.
He opened the envelope calmly. I started to shiver, as if it was freezing winter. My heart sent out strong & violent beats & my knees! I don’t know why they couldn’t hold me any more. I sweated profusely & tried to catch my breath. But he CONGRATULATED me… “Thanks God”, I couldn’t let him complete & threw myself at him. Then I got up, “read it again”, I told him “make sure that’s all”
I came out exhilarated, greeting everyone I met. I went home quickly. Winter was still inside me. & Sweat on my forehead was very obvious. I calmed down. But couldn’t help staying. I rode the car & reaching my family house, I hugged my mother & kissed her cheeks. She noticed my exhaustion & the joy that overwhelmed me. “What’s the matter with you, son!?”
I handed them the envelope that explained everything.
My brother said mock fully, “& you don’t even tell us!”
I smiled…
Well,
Man is weak, but is a proud tyrant.
A small virus, a microscopic organism, can knock him down.
He fears death but does nothing for it.
Gets very happy at his health & well-being… but never gets benefit out of it.
Time goes on & he is subjected to several trials, but…
He always in the end… dies.
But you my dear…
You are sent back to life.
Every morning when you are up from bed… you are sent back to life…
But someday you are to die too…
Here look! There is still time.
Therefore, go & do something for it …
Before it’s too late.

No comments:

Post a Comment